Most of the things you need to know about melatonin supplements benefits are highlighted in this article to aid in guiding you to make the best supplement choice.
What is Melatonin?
Melatonin is a hormone in the brain and is a naturally occurring hormone in the body, which is secreted by the pineal gland situated in the brain, whose primary function is to regulate the body’s wake and sleep cycle.
The melatonin hormone is naturally secreted in the body, thus it’s supplementation is required only when the effect of the hormone is not as noticeable as expected. Now all of this happens when you find it difficult to sleep, to stay asleep during the night, or no refreshing feeling after you’ve slept, all of which are considered to symptoms of insomnia.
Insomnia is caused by an imbalance secretion of a hormone (melatonin) in the brain. Insomnia causes fatigue, decreased performance as well as speed up the aging process. Insomnia ranging from acute to chronic level can be treated using melatonin supplements which curbs the deficiency of melatonin in the brain.
Why Do You Need Melatonin Supplements?
Melatonin supplements are essential only when the effect of the hormone is not as visible the way it’s supposed to be. This is when you have difficulty sleeping, to stay asleep during the night, or not feeling refreshed after you’ve slept, all of which points to symptoms of insomnia.
Melatonin acts as a great avenue for falling asleep quickly even after prolonged exposure to blue light.
Melatonin Supplements Benefits
Best Melatonin Supplements
Nature Made Melatonin Supplement
Nature Made Melatonin Supplement comes highly recommended and is currently the best seller on in it’s a category on Amazon.
- 3mg yield of melatonin
- Sodium starch glycolate
- Magnesium stearate.
- A dose of nature made melatonin half an hour before bedtime is great for curbing insomnia.
- Quick dissolution of the tablet
- The magnesium stearate aids the flow of the tablet through the body system.
- It does not contain a supporting component that might interact with other drugs or hormones in the body.
- It does not contain a form of genetically modified organisms.
- It’s gluten-free. No preservative and yeast.
- It comes in two forms which are 3mg per capsule with two bottle types; 120 tablet count and 240tablet count and one 5mg of 90 tablet count.
Direction for use
Best taken 30 minutes before bedtime.
Natrol Melatonin Time Release Supplement
The Natrol Melatonin Time Release is a quality product aimed at solving the melatonin needs of those who are desirous to get one.
- The melatonin yield in this product is in four different types. Depending on your choice, the percentage yield is 1mg, 3mg, 5mg, and 10mg respectively.
- Contains several other supporting component like;
Xylitol: an artificial sweetener.
Cellulose gum: a thickening agent.
Natural flavor: to make the tablet more ideal for consumption.
Beetroot powder: aids in improved blood circulation, energy supply, and improved blood sugar.
- It has four different melatonin yield; 1mg, 3mg, 5mg, and 10mg. You can actually experiment with different doses until you find an appropriate one.
- Contains Xylitol, cellulose gum, natural flavor, and beetroot powder
- Does not contain genetically modified organism, making it ideal for people living an organic lifestyle.
- It is gluten-free
Directions for Use
According to the manufacturer, the tablet is to be taken 20 minutes before bedtime.
Now Melatonin Capsule Supplement
Known to produce natural food and specializing in healthy food and natural supplements Now Foods has again launched another brand of supplement into the market to help people live a healthier lives.
- 5mg supply of melatonin per tablet.
- It contains also cellulose, vegetable polysaccharide, and magnesium stearate, all of which have no direct pharmacological reaction on the body system.
- A vegetarian-friendly supplement.
- It does not contain any form of a genetically modified organism.
- Has 180 tablet count, each of which is 5mg.
Directions for Use
According to the manufacturer, the supplement is to be taken at least twenty minutes (20) before bedtime.
Vitafusion ExtraStrength Melatonin Blackberry
A unique gummy supplement that makes your supplement intake more enjoyable.
- 5mg of melatonin per tablet.
- Other supporting components include high fructose syrup, sucrose, water, gelatin, artificial color as well as a coconut tree nut.
- Does not contain genetically modified organism.
- It’s gluten-free which makes it vegetarian and vegan-friendly.
- It’s gelatin-free.
- It has a good chewy taste.
- Each tablet contains, 3g of carbohydrate, 5mg of melatonin, and, 3g of sugar and a 60 tablet bottle count.
Direction for Use
It is best taken 20 – 30mins before bedtime.
Pharmaceutical Grade Melatonin by Just Potent
This supplement is produced by the Just Potent company and comes in a varying percentage to help users make their choice.
- Two varying percentage which is the 5mg and 10mg yield.
- Other supporting component includes cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, stearic acid, magnesium stearate as well as silicon dioxide. All of which have no direct pharmaceutical effect on the body, but instead aids the disintegration and absorption of the capsule.
- Free of genetically modified organisms.
- It is a vegetarian/vegan-friendly.
- This supplement has 120 tablets in the bottle, each with 10mg of melatonin.
Directions for Use
As suggested by the manufacturer, the desired dosage is to be taken 20-30 minutes before the time of the required effect.
Safety & Side Effects of Melatonin
Melatonin supplements are known to be safe, non-toxic and not addictive.
But be it as it may, some users may experience mild side effects, like sleepiness, dizziness, headaches, and nausea.
Current evidence also suggests that Melatonin may interact with a variety of medications. These include blood thinners, blood pressure medication, and antidepressants.
In case you would like to try melatonin, begin with a lower dose of 0.5-1 mg, taken 30 minutes before bedtime. If that does not work as expected you can increase your dose to 3-5 mg.
Thus, we can conclusively advise that before you purchase and take any melatonin supplements, you should first consult your doctor.