The best L-theanine supplements are supplements that are capable of making you feel relaxed, without putting you to sleep.
Before we get ahead and outline the different L-theanine supplements that we believe can be of help to you, let’s first of all understand what L-theanine is, it’s benefits as well as the dosage of L-theanine.
What is L-Theanine?
Theanine or L-theanine is an amino acid, that is only present in green tea and some fungal species. L-theanineconsist of an enantiomer, the D-theanine. The L-theanine, has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier, which is like a filter that prevents the absorption of materials into the brain cells. Thus, the structure of L-theanine is very similar to a neurotransmitter known as glutamate. Glutamate on the other hand is an excitatory neurotransmitter and the ability of L-theanine to cross the blood-brain barrier makes it an antagonist on glutamate receptor. It also increases the level of serotonin; an inhibitory neurotransmitter, which results in various psychoactive effects. A larger percentage of the amino acid required by the body to function effectively are either produced in the body system or readily available in our diet. This means that for you to enjoy the benefits of amino acid, you have to source for it via supplements.
Benefits of the Best L-Theanine Supplements
Inhibit Glutamate Excitocity : The accumulation of glutamate in the cell often results in excitotoxicityborne out of excessive stimulatory action of the neurotransmitter. So since L-theanine is a similar in structure with glutamate, then it shares it’s receptor by binding with them as an antagonist, which reduces the overall impact of the neurotransmitter on the cell.
Improves learning and memory : L-theanine has been reported to have a direct impact on the learning and memory of users. This can be explained based on L-theanine’s ability to cross the blood-brain barrier and act as a psychoactive.
Improve sleep quality in people with ADHD : The L-theanine supplement is said to improve quality of sleep by getting rid of anxiety and making user calm; mostly in those with ADHD.
Good for stress and anxiety: This supplement, calms nerves against anxiety. Thus those who are prone to anxiety, should take less of caffeinated drink and rather opt for theanine. The L-theanine supplement is capable of interacting directly with the brain cells to reduce the presence of glutamate which is an excitatory neurotransmitter.
Improves Cognition and boost mood : This supplement has been linked with the increase in alpha brain wave during the scan. Also research has shown that alpha brainwave is linked with increased creativity and reduces depression.
Now, let’s see the different supplements and how effective they are;
The Suntheanine® L-Theanine supplement is a fermented version of L-theanine which has several other supporting components which most users find beneficial. It is produced with the sole aim of promoting relaxation and focus, and is advised that users take the capsule alongside their coffee in the morning for maximum desired effect.
- It is packaged in a soft gel form that contains, virgin coconut oil, yellow beeswax, which are organic.
- Comes in a soft gel capsule that houses the ingredients of the supplement.
- Combats anxiety.
- Gluten free
- This supplement is vegan and vegetarian-friendly.
- Each gel is said to contain 200mg of L-theanine. This means you can do with a single pop per day.
- It’s container contains 60 soft gel in all.
- The manufacturer offers 30 days money back guarantee on first purchase.
- Adheres to pharmaceutical and quality standard.
What’s not so Good?
- The soft gel seem a little too big, and might seem big to swallow if you are scared of swallowing pills.
Superior Labs L-Theanine
Our next stop is the superior labs L-theanine that has no artificial component. The company’s product boasts of no artificial additive at all and offers L-theanine in it’s preset form with zero unnatural component. Those who are just starting out with supplements can kick start with this supplement. The company offers a 90 days guaranteed money back, which means if you purchase the product and feel like you’ve not gotten value for your money, you are free to request a refund.
- Offers precise dosage without having to worry about other component interacting with other systems in the body.
- Contains natural L-theanine, plant cellulose and natural rice powder.
- Pure 250mg of L-theanine per serving.
- Does not contain any genetically modified organism.
- It’s vegetarian-friendly.
The Nutricost L-theanine contains gelatin, rice flour and contains 120 capsules, which makes it ideal for those who are just starting out with the product.
- Each capsule boasts of 200mg L-theanine yield.
- Bottles three variations which are 120, 240 and 480 capsules.
What’s not so Good?
- Contains gelatin.
- Not vegan and vegetarian-friendly.
The Now L-Theanine is produced by the Now Foods which is a reputable company with several years of experience when it comes to supplements. It is one of the supplements that has a valuable pharmacological supporting component. It’s major ingredients are L-theanine and Inositol. Inositol is perceived to be a member of vitamin B complex, although they are present in the body naturally from the processing of glucose and are not considered to be an essential nutrient. Still, they play an important role in the signaling of secondary Messenger. Thus they can effectively aid the action of L-theanine when combined together.
- Contains L-theanine and Inositol
- Contains vegetable polysaccharide used in the production of capsule that houses other ingredient, magnesium stearate which aids the dissolution and absorption of the supplements and silica.
- It is vegan and vegetarian-friendly owing to it’s plant sourced ingredients.
- Boasts of 200mg of L-theanine , and 100mg of Inositol.
What’s not so Good?
The presence of Inositol may trigger a cascade effect in some situation. This means users might tend to sleep as a result of using the supplement. Note, it is not indicated that the supplement has a sedative effect.
Enzymatic Therapy L-Theanine
Enzymatic Therapy L-Theanine supplement is made up of cellulose, vegetable capsule (modified). This supplement is absolutely vegan and vegetarian-friendly as all ingredient used in the production are plant sourced.
- Contains cellulose, vegetable capsule (modified).
- It is vegan and vegetarian-friendly because all it’s ingredients are plant sourced.
What’s not so Good?
- Boasts of only 100mg per capsule. This is seen as a major draw back for this product because the daily dosage for an adult is around 200mg to achieve the desired effect. Thus the bottle of this particular product contains only 60 capsules. This means, that taking two per day gives only 30 days of supply.
Before taking any supplement, it is best to ask questions when you are not clear about the ingredient of a particular product and ensure you get the answer before purchasing one.